Senior Performance Test Engineer
We are looking for a Senior Performance Test Engineer who will become part of the wider Creditsafe team that will improve the performance test strategy and approach. You will develop, enhance and execute performance tests that add value to the teams deliverables. You will act as a primary source of guidance to Junior Test Engineers, Test Engineers and the wider teams in all performance related testing. You will design and implement performance tests and have practical experience of implementation using established and recognised design patterns. You will coach the QA team and product teams in all aspects of a robust and practical approach to the performance testing and monitoring of our applications. You can confidently communicate test results with your team members and stakeholders using evidence and reports and you act as a mentor and coach to the less experienced members of the test team and wider community. You will promote and coach leading practices in performance test management, design and implementation. You are an influencer and will provide leadership in defining and implementing agreed performance metrics and will actively promote this within your team and the wider development community.
You will ideally have extensive experience in mentorship and leading by example and can communicate values consistent with the Creditsafe philosophy of engagement and continuous learning. You understand that skilled testing comprises more than just the automation of Non-functional requirements. You have critical thinking skills and can diplomatically communicate within, and outside your areas of responsibility, challenging assumptions where required.
You will have active experience in the design, scripting, maintenance, execution and analysis of JMeter, LoadUI, OpenSTA, Gatling or similar tools. You know, and can articulate, what pacing, wait-times and profiles are.
You understand that the tool is not the qualifier, the ability to interpret and act upon performance requirements is.
• Practical experience in the development of performance test frameworks – Clearly demonstrate use of multiple test tools and integration of test suites in CICD pipelines
• Performance profiling based on non-functional requirements
• Performance analysis skills – i.e. jvm heap analysis
• Practical experience of applying industry recognized performance test methodologies and processes
• Practical experience of applying the principles of Load, Volume, Stress and Endurance testing
• Hands-on experience on performance testing using tools like Jmeter or Blazemeter
• Hands-on experience with CI/CD tools and pipelines
• A very good understanding of the SDLC and test activities that can be performed at each phase
• A good understanding of cloud technology, preferably AWS and/or Azure DevOps
• A practical understanding of RESTful APIs & SOAP
• A practical understanding of the defect management lifecycle
• Excellent communication skills
• Practical experience of testing in an Agile approach
• Strong linux and command line skills
• Ability to demonstrate problem solving skills
• A practical understanding of version control systems
• Hands-on experience of Integration testing and Acceptance testing
• Practical experience of conducting code reviews
• Practical experience of pair testing and pair programming
• Hands-on experience on API testing using tools like Postman or Ready API
• Previous experience with mentoring Test Engineers and Junior Test Engineers
• To set the standards for the development and maintenance of test artefacts created using the selected test tool
• Responsible for directing and undertaking performance testing in-line with the defined performance test strategy and processes, suggesting and implementing improvements where required
• Work closely with the Agile teams at Creditsafe to promote a wider understanding and approach to the performance testing required
• Is the performance test specialist across the Agile teams and advocates for the appropriate levels of testing
• Documents approaches and processes that improve the quality effort for use by team members and the wider test function
• Strong practical knowledge of performance testing techniques and the ability to advise on, and select, the correct technique dependent on the problem at hand
• Mentors team members and the wider teams in the application of performance testing techniques
• Accurately and concisely document tasks using JIRA, TFS or Azure Boards
• Conducts analysis of the teams test approach, taking a proactive role in the formulation of the relevant performance quality criteria in-line with the goals of the team and the wider expectations of Creditsafe
• Practical, demonstrable experience of the strategies that can be utilised in performance testing
• Work with teams and QA team members to define standards and processes applicable to their area of responsibility
• Monitor progress of team deliverables, injecting quality concerns in a timely, effective manner
• Design, create and undertake performance testing using the appropriate performance strategy
• Gain a sufficient understanding of the system architecture to inform their test approach and that of the QA team
• Creation of concise and accurate test reports in-line with the agreed strategy
• Teamwork – Leads by example in the areas of cooperation, collaboration and partnerships
• Quality Improvement – Takes the initiative to deliver improvements and results of value
• Problem Solving – Identifies and prioritises problems and works to deliver workable solutions
• Seeks feedback from team members and provides feedback to team members.
• Has an appreciation of others viewpoints, frequently soliciting differing opinions to their own
• Promotes an inclusive, merit-based approach to differing opinions
• Is able to work independently within the constraints of the Agile teams.
• Is able to determine when issues should be escalated.
• Takes responsibility and provides rationality for own decisions
• Interacts with and influences colleagues in a positive manner.
• Undertakes supervisory and coaching activities.
• Makes decisions which impact and optimises the work assigned to individuals or projects.
• Is regarded as the SME for performance related issues
• Is able to grasp complex concepts, form an understanding and explain to other team members
• Is able to articulate complex concepts to stakeholders in a non-technical manner
• Performs a range of work, sometimes complex and non-routine, in a variety of environments.
• Applies a methodical approach to issue definition and resolution.
• Demonstrates an analytical and systematic approach to issue resolution, acting as a primary contact across the teams
• Takes the initiative in identifying and negotiating appropriate personal development opportunities with less experienced test team members
• Demonstrates effective communication skills and can vary message presentation dependent on the level of stakeholder
• Plans, schedules and monitors own work (and that of others) competently within limited deadlines and according to relevant legislation, standards and procedures.
• Appreciates the wider business context, and how their own role relates to other roles and to the business objectives of CreditSafe.