Senior Oracle Database Administrator
Reporting directly to the Database Operations Manager, the Database Operations Team are responsible for the complete lifecycle of all databases in the organisation. The Senior Oracle Database Administrator will have a proven technical background in Oracle database technologies on both Windows and Linux based operating systems.
Through guidance from the Database Operations Manager and researching new technologies, the Database Operations team are responsible for all database design, configuration and commissioning of stable and secure services to all users, developers and consumers of the Creditsafe products. All new services built by the team should follow industry best practices where applicable and as a team will be instrumental in creating and enforcing the database policies for the organisation.
You will be working in a fast-paced agile environment and the role will require the ability to focus and refocus effort based on the business and operational needs, managing several issues and projects at any one time.
• Working with the Architecture Board to define technical architecture in relation to Database Systems.
• Support all internal/external Creditsafe product database environments, developers and release team.
• Commissioning of any new database services (on premise and cloud).
• Design, configuration & implementation of:
• Database infrastructure
• Database Networking
• Database storage
• Monitoring/reporting tools
• Database backups
• Disaster recovery
• Perform database recovery as and when required.
• Database patching and upgrades to ensure systems are up-to-date and secure.
• Create and maintain technical documentation.
• Recommend new tools and techniques that will aid productivity.
• Recommend technical solutions for business issues.
• Perform large scale data extracts and imports.
• Provide advice on database performance tuning.
• Assess system change requests.
• Assist service delivery team with any technical issues.
• Provide training/guidance on database technologies to other teams within the organisation.
• Participate in a 24/7 on call rota as required.
**Please note that the responsibility lists detailed above are not exhaustive and the role may be requested to perform additional duties / take on additional responsibilities deemed as reasonable by their direct line manager.
• Oracle 10g / 11g / 12c
• Knowledge in one or more of the following: SQL Server / MySQL / PostgreSQL / Redshift
• Windows server – 2008(R2) / 2012(R2) / 2016
• Unix/Linux – CentOS / Ubuntu / Redhat
• Excellent knowledge of SQL
• Database Procedural Languages
• Recovery Manager (RMAN)
• Export Datapump, Import Datapump
• Knowledge of SQLPlus, SQL developer and other client based DB tools such has MySQL Worksheet
• Good working knowledge of Windows batch scripting / Powershell or Unix Shell scripting
• Experience of monitoring tools such as Grid Control / Cloud Control / CloudWatch / Solarwinds Database Performance Analyzer
• Managing workloads through a workload management toolset (Kanban)
Experience, Knowledge & Skills
• 5 year + Oracle Database Administration commercial experience (essential)
• Oracle Streams
• AWS / Azure experience
• Previous experience with cloud based RDS database instances
• Experience with Redis
• Exposure to one or more of the following: ElasticSearch/Kibana,BitBucket,Confluence,Ansible and Visual Studio Online
• Oracle, MySQL, SQL Server certifications
• Database technology migrations
• Relationship Management: The ability to effectively develop and manage strong working relationships both internal and external to the business.
• Highly developed communication skills: communicating effectively and in a timely manner using appropriate communication tools and techniques.
• Creativity / Innovation: Develop new and unique ways to improve operations of the organization and to create new opportunities.
• Foster Teamwork: Work cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problems, and make decisions that enhance organizational effectiveness.
• Lead: Positively influence others to achieve results that are in the best interest of the organization.
• Make Decisions: Assess situations to determine the importance, urgency and risks, and make clear decisions, which are timely, and in the best interests of the organization.
• Solve Problems: Assess problem situations to identify causes, gather and process relevant information, generate possible solutions, and make recommendations and/or resolve the problem.