Reporting directly to the Database Operations Manager, the Database Administrator will be a member of the Group Database Operations team that is responsible for the complete lifecycle of all databases in the organisation. The Database Operations Engineer will have a proven technical background in one of more database technologies on both Windows and Linux based operating systems.
Through guidance from the Database Operations Team and researching new technologies, the Database Administrator will be responsible for all database design, configuration and commissioning of stable and secure services to all users, developers and consumers of the Creditsafe products. All new services built by the team should follow industry best practices where applicable and as a team will be instrumental in creating and enforcing the database policies for the organization.
You will be working in a fast-paced agile environment and the role will require the ability to focus and refocus effort based on the business and operational needs, managing several issues and projects at any one time.
Primary Role Responsibilities:
• Support all internal/external Creditsafe product database environments, developers and database application releases.
• Commissioning of any new database services (on premise and cloud).
• Design, configuration & implementation of:
• Database infrastructure
• Database Networking
• Database storage
• Monitoring/reporting tools
• Database backups
• Disaster recovery
• Perform database recovery as and when required.
• Database patching and upgrades to ensure systems are up-to-date and secure.
• Create and maintain technical documentation.
• Recommend new tools and techniques that will aid productivity.
• Perform large scale data extracts and imports.
• Provide advice on good database practices.
• Assist service delivery team with any technical database issues.
• Provide training/guidance on database technologies to other teams within the organisation.
• Assist the development team with applying database releases.
• Participate in a 24/7 on call rota as required.
**Please note that the responsibility lists detailed above are not exhaustive and the Database Administrator may be requested to perform additional duties / take on additional responsibilities deemed as reasonable by their direct line manager.
• Experience in Oracle 11g / 12c / 18c / 19c or MySQL 5.6 / 5.7 / 8.0
• Knowledge in one or more of the following database technologies:
o MySQL (AWS Aurora) / PostgreSQL / Redshift / SQL Server
• Windows server – 2012(R2) / 2016 / 2019
• Unix/Linux – CentOS / Ubuntu / Redhat
• Excellent knowledge of SQL
• Some exposure of database procedural languages (PL/SQL, T-SQL)
• Oracle Recovery Manager (RMAN) and database recovery techniques
• Oracle Export Datapump, Import Datapump, MySQL Dump commands
• A basic understanding of database performance tuning.
• Knowledge of client based DB tools such as MySQL Worksheet, SQLPlus or DBeaver
• Good working knowledge of Windows batch scripting / Powershell or Unix Shell scripting
• Experience of monitoring tools such as Grid Control / Cloud Control / CloudWatch / Solarwinds Database Performance Analyzer
• Managing workloads through a workload management toolset (Kanban)
Experience, Knowledge & Skills
• 3 years + Oracle or MySQL Database Administration experience in a commercial environment (essential)
• AWS experience
• Previous experience with cloud based RDS database instances
• Previous experience of working with the ITIL framework
• Exposure to one or more of the following:
o Git Repository
o Visual Studio Online
o AWS API
• Certifications in one of the following is desirable:
o SQL Server
o or any other DB technology
• Experience of database technology migrations (version changes and between database technologies)
• Relationship Management: The ability to effectively develop and manage strong working relationships both internal and external to the business.
• Highly developed communication skills: communicating effectively and in a timely manner using appropriate communication tools and techniques.
• Creativity / Innovation: Develop new and unique ways to improve operations of the organization and to create new opportunities.
• Foster Teamwork: Work cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problems, and make decisions that enhance organizational effectiveness.
• Lead: Positively influence others to achieve results that are in the best interest of the organization.
• Make Decisions: Assess situations to determine the importance, urgency and risks, and make clear decisions, which are timely, and in the best interests of the organization.
• Solve Problems: Assess problem situations to identify causes, gather and process relevant information, generate possible solutions, and make recommendations and/or resolve the problem.