Data Engineer – Internal Applications
This role is part of the Internal Applications team are responsible for developing, maintaining and supporting a number of key systems used throughout Creditsafe, allowing our business users to carry out their day to day functions. We are a very dynamic team; always adapting and reacting to the business needs. It’s a fast paced environment, but there’s plenty of room for fun and innovation too.
We cover a mix of bespoke systems which we built ourselves as well as a few off-the-shelf third party solutions, some of which have been customised to suit our business processes. While the majority of our applications sit in front of Microsoft SQL Server databases, there are opportunities to explore other database technologies such as PostgreSQL, MySQL, MariaDB etc.
• Experience of developing using Microsoft SQL Server (T-SQL), SSIS and SSRS
• Experience of working with large dataset, data migration and transformation
• Ability to produce clear, digestible technical documentation and diagrams
• Ability to write efficient code and comfortably undertake system optimisation and performance tuning tasks
• Ability to work with relational databases such as MS SQL Server, PostgreSQL, Oracle etc
• Ability to demonstrate understanding of data engineering best practises and techniques
• Analytically minded and able to troubleshoot and resolve system errors and faults
• Good interpersonal skill and ability to communicate with end users
• Have an understanding of source control techniques and/or familiar with GIT
• Understanding of Agile development methodologies
• Familiarity with cloud technology, preferably AWS.
• Knowledge of automated delivery processes.
• Assemble and manage application datasets that meet functional & non-functional business requirements
• Work with Product Owners to develop business questions and build datasets that answer those questions.
• Perform design, creation, interpretation and management of large datasets to achieve business goals.
• Assist team in data management projects when needed.
• Maintain data files in both hard copy and electronic versions.
• Identify and solve issues concerning data management to improve data quality.
• Develop best practices for data management, maintenance, reporting and security.
• Review dataset implementations performed by other data engineers.
• Evaluate datasets for accuracy and quality.
• Perform data updates, indexing, and maintenance in application database.
• Perform additional data and database related tasks.
• Support and maintain the systems managed by the team, ensuring their 99% up-time and stability.
• Produce technical and non-technical documentation and diagrams
• 3+ years development experience within a commercial environment.
• Knowledge of Agile development methodologies.
• Some experience of working with data sources and MS SQL Server (T-SQL).
• Knowledge of SQL programming and code optimisation.
• Understanding of best engineering practices (handling and logging errors, system monitoring and building human-fault-tolerant applications).
• Ability to write efficient code and comfortably perform system optimisation and performance tuning
• Comfortable working with relational databases such as MS SQL Server, PostgreSQL or MySQL
• Teamwork- Encourages cooperation, collaboration and partnerships.
• Quality Improvement – Strives for high quality performance.
• Problem Solving – Identifies problems and seeks best solutions by being creative and innovative
• Autonomy – Works under direction of the Senior Data Engineers within a clear framework of accountability. Exercises personal responsibility and autonomy. Plans own work to meet given objectives and processes.
• Influence – Participates in external activities related to own specialism. Contributes to decisions
which influence the success of projects and team objectives.
• Complexity – Performs a range of work, sometimes complex and non-routine, in a variety of environments. Applies methodical approach to issue definition and resolution.
Selects appropriately from applicable standards, methods, tools and applications. Communicates fluently, orally and in writing, and can present information to both technical and non-technical audiences. Plans, schedules and monitors work to meet time and quality targets. Absorbs new information and applies it effectively. Maintains an awareness of developing technologies and how they could be applied to improve their solution.